Friday, March 19, 2010

Gut Check

Dear Chad,


By all accounts, the health care vote is coming this weekend or Monday. For my colleagues in Congress, it is gut-check time: Do we crack under the pressure and threats, or do we see this cause for what it is -- something far bigger than any of our individual political futures.

Thirty million Americans' health care is at stake -- this is a no brainer.

We must pass health care -- we must, as I've said in the past, "Finish the Kitchen." Sign my pledge now to make sure my colleagues know there is support for the decision, that wavering will not be tolerated.

Click here to sign now!

The Republican threats of electoral catastrophe if health care reform passes are empty caterwauling -- a cynical, last-ditch attempt to gain political power. As I've said to you before, I believe that NOT passing health care reform threatens our majority far more.

But even if I did believe these ridiculous threats, I would still vote for health care reform -- because I believe it is my job as a public servant to put those 30 million Americans ahead of any political calculus.

Making decisions like this is why I ran for office in the first place. I came to Congress to do as much good as I can for the people in Washington and this country. How could I possibly sit by and let a once-in-a-lifetime chance to make a difference in millions of lives pass by because it may put my job at risk?

I can't sit by and miss this chance -- and no other member in Congress should either.

Tell them to join me by signing my "Finish the Kitchen" pledge now.

For years, health care has consistently been at the top of the list of voters' biggest concerns -- we are desperate for a solution, and have been for decades. Senators and members of Congress throughout history waited their whole careers for this kind of opportunity -- to make such a profound difference for so many with one vote -- and yet, we may let it go because we're spooked by make-believe threats and political pundit spin.

Americans need relief, and now voters are demanding action. Now is the time -- we must get this done.

Thank you for your support -- and your work making sure our representatives do what's right, not just what's easy.

Very truly yours,

Jay Inslee
Member of Congress

No comments: